Thursday, March 17, 2011

{family favorite}

Yes, I am.  Why do you ask?

I kid, I kid.  But that does remind me of a pair of newborn p.j's H had that said "Current Family Favorite".  Its true!  At least for me and her Daddy-O.  ANYWAY.  By family favorite I meant another recipe.  We like to eat.  We like to eat a lot.  We like lots of flavor.  I need a snack.  Try this one people,  it's a 'go-to' for us now and yummy every time!

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs
{I believe this came from a Weight Watchers cookbook at one point}

2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Cooking spray
6 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Preheat broiler on High.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.  Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat.  Place chicken on a broiler pan (or be like me and use a cooling rack set in a rimmed cookie sheet because you don't have a broiler pan.  Your choice)  coated with cooking spray.  Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.

Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/2 the  honey mixture on chicken.  Broil 1 minute. Turn over and brush chicken with the other half of the honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute.

YUM, YUM, YUM.  Ok some notes.  I double the spice mixture that I toss the thighs in.  I did say we like a lot of flavor right?  But try it as is first, maybe you'll prefer it that way.  I will say that when doubling the spices you lose some of the honey flavor.  The world's your oyster, do as you'd like.  If you haven't cooked with chicken thighs before, you have been missing out.  It's the dark meat of chicken, so in the husbands mind this makes it {'mo-bettah!}.  They will need a little trimming when you get them home/before you cook them.  But don't go crazy trying to get all the fat off, with these broiling it will add flavor  but drip off and not stay with the chicken.  Also - try thighs in any marinade you like on the grill.  Even mo-bettah!  And oh yeah, you can throw this spice mixture and the chicken together in a bowl and refrigerate it for a few hours or over night.  Then when its dinner time, they'll be ready in 12 minutes :)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment